Government has asked persons with albinism to be patient following a planned vigil organised in the wake of the increase in attacks on the persons with albinism.
Association of People with Albinism in Malawi (APAM) plans to hold the vigil at State House in Lilongwe vigils from the 6th to 9th March 2019.
Persons with albinism have also been demanding government to declare Malawi unsafe for them so that they should be free to seek asylum in other countries.
But at a press conference in Lilongwe on Tuesday, Minister of Homeland Security Nicholas Dausi asked persons with albinism to exercise patience.
He argued that the attacks on persons with albinism have not reached levels where persons with albinism should be seeking asylum or holding vigils.
The minister also called for concerted efforts in the fight against the killings and assured the public that government is committed to protecting anyone from violence and discrimination.
Dausi said government developed a National Action Plan that will also help in ensuring responsive and legal action for protection of persons with albinism.
In his reaction, APAM President, Overstone Kondowe, said the statement leaves a lot to be desired
Meanwhile, APAM has expressed its appreciation for the overwhelming support it has received since its announcement to hold vigils.
According to the association, participants in the vigil will congregate at Lilongwe Community Centre Ground and thereafter march to Kamuzu Palace where they will deliver a petition to President Peter Mutharika.
After handing over the petition, the protesters will remain at Kamuzu Palace where they will hold a vigil for three days.
This year, at least five cases of attacks against persons with albinism have been recorded in the country.
Last week, thugs abducted a 14-year-old boy with albinism in the area of chief Chilikumwendo’s area in Dedza.