Oscar Pistorius has been released

39

South African Athlete Oscar Pistorius was released from prison under correctional supervision on Monday night, the Department of Correctional Services said.

“The handling of the actual placement is an operational matter of the local management, and how they handle it is their prerogative,” spokesperson Manelisi Wolela said.

Oscar-Pistorius

Pistorius: Released.

“They carry it out in the best interest of all parties concerned, the victims, the offender and the Department of Correctional Services.”

It had been expected that Pistorius would only leave the Kgosi Mampuru II prison in Pretoria on Tuesday.

Pistorius’s lawyer Brian Webber told The Citizen newspaper that his client was home just after 22:00 on Monday.

“Yes it is true… he is at home already,” Webber was quoted as saying.

Correctional supervision

This was after the correctional services department announced last week that he would be placed under correctional supervision on October 20.

Pistorius was initially expected to be released on August 21, but Justice Minister Michael Masutha however blocked this and referred the matter back to the parole review board.

He said the parole board had acted prematurely when it decided on June 5 to release Pistorius. It should have met on August 21, after Pistorius had served one-sixth of his five-year jail sentence, to decide if he could be released into correctional supervision.

The matter was then taken to the parole review board (PRB) which again referred it back to the Kgosi Mampuru II prison parole board.

On October 21 last year, Pistorius was sentenced to five years for shooting his girlfriend Reeva Steenkamp  dead on Valentine’s Day in 2013.

He fired four shots through the locked door of the toilet in his Pretoria home, apparently thinking an intruder was hiding behind it.

The double-amputee track star was sentenced to a further three years, suspended for five years, for firing a shot at Tasha’s restaurant in Johannesburg, in January 2013.

He fired four shots through the locked door of the toilet in his Pretoria home, apparently thinking an intruder was hiding behind it.

The double-amputee track star was sentenced to a further three years, suspended for five years, for firing a shot at Tasha’s restaurant in Johannesburg, in January 2013.

*News source: News24

Share.

39 Comments

  1. guyz ine ndikuonangati asanapereke chigamulo kwamunthu orakwa adziyamba afunsa kwanthu chifukwa ena akumawapatsa chirango chochepa mawa

  2. Munthu wakuda wapha nyama ya mtchile ( chipembere) wagamulidwa zaka 15 ,
    Mzungu wapha munthu chaka chimodzi uyu wabwerako .
    #MoyoWamunthuKutchipa

  3. sombod store nkhuku,anothr 1 killn aperson,,wankhuku iz jaild for 6yrs&akillr lyk satan iz sentecd 2b in prison 4 two yrs:whr ix justice guyz?? ma view ix dat OScar woz nt supposd 2b releasd bt bcoz money talks aaah bas mutulusen then h wl shoot yo kid

  4. If it was in malawi,he could have been silenced too.Malawi does not take any nonsense, no matter who you are whether you are white or black.

  5. u dont hv something special to report ..who is Oscar to the Malawian society..its better if u can tell us abt Misozi Chanthunya and the like..hw abt south african news agencies ever wrote about Lutepo? why waisting tym on things that wont help us…anyway its non of my business

%d bloggers like this: