Court drops one charge against Wandale

Advertisement
Vincent Wandale

The Blantyre magistrate court has dropped one charge against Vincent Wandale in the land wrangles case with Conforzi tea plantation in Thyolo district.

Wandale who is the first accused in the case was slapped with four charges of conspiracy to commit misdemeanor, unauthorised use of land, inciting violence and criminal trespass.

Vincent Wandale
Vincent Wandale has one charge dropped.

But on Wednesday, senior resident magistrate Thokozani Soko found Wandale with no case to answer on the charge of inciting violence but she said the court is to proceed the case with the other three charges basing on the evidence rendered in court.

Speaking in an interview with Malawi24, defence lawyer Michael Goba Chipeta said he is ready to defend his client on the three charges.

“The court has dropped one charge for Mr. Wandale and he is now to answer three basing on the evidence brought in court by the state,” said Goba Chipeta.

Wandale got arrested for mobilising locals from Thyolo district to share land at Conforzi tea plantations earlier this month.

However, he earlier pleaded not guilty on the charges levelled against him. The court is now to hear from Wandale’s witnesses on October 3.