Nyasa Big Bullets F.C have explained the main reason why Muhammad Sulumba’s move to Polokwane City collapsed on the deadline day of international transfer window last week.
Sulumba was on the verge of completing his move to the Premier Soccer League side after he was offered a two and half year contract but Bullets refused to clear him before the window slammed shut due to disagreements over transfer fee.
The development sparked a lot of debate, with some quarters pointing fingers at the Noel Lipipa led executive committee for failing to help the player complete his dream move to the South African side.
This has forced Bullets executive committee to clarify as to what led to the collapse of the deal in the eleventh hour.
Speaking during a press briefing at Kamuzu Stadium on Tuesday morning, Bullets Financial Director Fleetwood Haiya said the deal collapsed because their counterparts lacked commitment.
He also revealed that after the Extraordinary Annual General Meeting in Lilongwe, the newly appointed executive committee was not contacted by Polokwane City about their interest in Sulumba.
“We had no idea that Polokwane FC were interested in signing Muhammad Sulumba up until 21st August when former Chairman Sam Chilunga formally told us that a deal in principle had already been struck between the two clubs,” explained Haiya.
He added that on the 30th August 2016, Polokwane City officials told them that they had already made a payment of ZAR70,000 to Bullets for the player and they were remaining with a balance of ZAR130 000 to complete the transfer fee.
“After hearing this, we questioned some of the axed committee members to explain their part on the allegations that they received money from Polokwane City but they said they had no idea of what was being said.
“However, the officials [later] confessed that they indeed received the said amount from Polokwane officials and promised to pay back the money when the deal materializes.
“Upon hearing this, we agreed to have the player cleared before the window was shut down and we emailed Polokwane City officials to write a commitment letter on when they will be able to complete the remaining balance but they never responded up to this day so that’s how the deal failed to go through,” he continued.
During the briefing, it was disclosed that the actual transfer fee for Sulumba was ZAR240,000 and not ZAR200,000 that was communicated by Chilunga and Polokwane Officials.
According to Hauya, Polokwane City agreed to pay the fee in full seven days after the deal was completed.
“According to the document that reached us, the transfer fee for Sulumba was R240,000 and not R200,000 in mention and they agreed to pay the fee in full seven days after signing the player.
“Sulumba’s deal was signed on 19th July, with Polokwane City completing the transfer fee on 26th July but nothing was given to the club,” he concluded.
Haiya then confirmed that Bullets FC have summoned Polokwane City to the Football Association of Malawi (FAM) and went on to thank the association for not clearing the player under the orders of the club’s former executive committee members.
On his part, Lipipa promised to help Sulumba secure his move but only if Polokwane City FC follows all the transfer procedures. He however warned that no Bullets player will ever leave without following procedures under his leadership.
The briefing was attended by Lipipa alongside Nyasa Manufacturing Company Executive Director, club Vice Chairman Hassan Jussab, General Secretary Kelvin Moyo and Supporters Chairman Stone Mwamadi.
Meanwhile, the club claims it is not aware that Sulumba is back in the country from South Africa saying there has been no official communication from their counterparts.