The Malawi government has stuck to its stand that no one died of hunger in the country, and has challenged those with evidence of the deaths to come forward and prove it.
When making his response to the state of the nation address made by President Peter Mutharika on Friday, acting President for the opposition Peoples Party (PP) Uladi Mussa claimed that ‘a lot Malawians have died of hunger’.
According to Mussa, the hunger which he said the Mutharika government has failed to fight has seen many people dying and said it was unfortunate that government has chosen to do ‘nothing’. towards the situation.
Mussa then called on the government to address environmental issues to mitigate the impact of climate change.
But leader of the House George Chaponda standing on a point of order challenged Mussa to bring forward the evidence of the people he claims have died of hunger in Malawi.
Chaponda who is now the Agriculture Minister maintains that the reports that some Malawians have died of hunger are not true and asked the opposition to take facts to the August house and not bring ‘misleading’ information.
In January this year, Malawi24 reported of a death of a man in Mzimba district whom the medical personnel confirmed died to starvation, but the government was quick to refuse the matter.
A report released last year by Malawi Vulnerability Assessment Committee (MVAC) showed that 3 million Malawians were expected to experience hunger during the current growing season.
However fear has erupted that the current figures of hunger victims are likely to go to as high as 8.5 million by the end of this year.