Wadabwa brace downs KB

Wadabwa Peter

Peter Wadabwa was the hero of the day as Mighty Be Forward Wanderers beat Kamuzu Barracks 2-1 at Kamuzu stadium on Saturday afternoon in Blantyre.

Players fight for the ball during the game

Wadabwa scored a brace in the first half before Kamuzu Barracks goalkeeper Leman Mthala pulled one back from the spot in the last minutes of added time.

The match started on a slow pace as both Kamuzu Barracks and the Nomads were afraid to unlock each other’s defence as they were playing boring football.

But ten minutes into the game both sides started building some momentum as they started showcasing brilliant football to the spectators that gathered at the Kamuzu stadium.

Defeo Semion had a chance to put the soldiers ahead in the 13th minute of the game after Nomads goalminder Nenani Jiwaya slipped but Semion hit the ball straight into the path of the already fallen keeper who kept it away using his head for a corner to Kamuzu Barracks.

Peter Wadabwa then put the Nomads in front in the 17th after he received a through ball from Jimmy Zakazaka.

Three minutes later Nomads hitman Wadabwa had a chance to score his second after the soldiers’ defence led by Ben Issa, Mustafa Salim, and Vincent Mphepo was caught napping in the line of duty but the striker headed over the bar.

However, in the 25th minute Wadabwa made no mistake after he headed in Zakazaka’s cross from the right to complete his brace and make it 2 nil in favour of the Lali Lubani boys.

After that goal, both teams continued showcasing quality football. As the game was going towards the break Ernest Tambe picked up a knock and he was substituted for Rafique Namwera.

Shortly after the break, Kelvin Hanganda could have pulled a goal back for the soldiers but his header went wide of the net.

The Nomads’ injury woes continued when their goalminder Nenani Jiwaya was stretchered off in the 53rd and he was replaced by Peter Munthali.

A few seconds after being introduced into the game, Munthali could have conceded a cheap goal but his captain Francis Mlimbika covered him well as he cleared the ball on the line.

As the game was going towards the end, Nomads coach introduced Ishmael Thindwa in the place of Zakazaka and the former Epac striker showed some skills as he combined well with Kaliati, Namwera, and Wadabwa.

Two minutes before time Wadabwa could have scored his third of the afternoon after he was well set by Isaac Kaliati but his shot hit the side netting.

In the last minute of the game, referee Andy Kuseli awarded a penalty kick to Kamuzu Barracks after Boston Kabango handled the ball inside Wanderers’ penalty area.

Kamuzu Barracks goalkeeper, Leman Mthala, stepped up for the challenge and he scored to make it 1-2 in favour of the Nomads.

The penalty happened to be the last kick of the match as Andy Kuseli blew his whistle to mark the end of the match.

But after the final whistle Boston Kabango was red carded by Kuseli for indiscipline after he went to question the assistant referee on why he awarded a penalty to Kamuzu Barracks.

Speaking to the media after the game, Nomads team manager Steve Madeira said he was happy with the win and thanked his boys for the job well done.

On his part, Mafco assistant coach Ted Kalinde conceded defeat and also admitted that his side is struggling when playing away from home this season.



Comments are closed.