The Malawi Revenue Authority (MRA) says Songwe Border Post is now operating as normal.
Yesterday, fire broke out in a warehouse at the border post and the authority suspects that the fire was caused by an electrical spark.
The fire destroyed groceries and cosmetic goods stored in the warehouse but MRA says there were no injuries and also says tax documents or any other equipment were not destroyed.
“Members of the business community and the public are informed that the station is operating on backup system and necessary steps are being taken to restore the full automated service,” said MRA in a statement signed by Commissioner General Tom Malata.
The authority added that it will conduct a full assessment of the damage caused by the fire.
MRA also used the statement to thank the police for safeguarding the authority’s property and maintaining order during the incident. The authority further expressed gratitude to locals and the Karonga Fire Brigade for their swift response.
Witnesses to the fire incident on Friday said locals helped officials at the facility to put out the fire, before fire fighters from Chilumba Barracks came all the way to help.
Songwe border station is the second largest border station located in the northern frontier which borders Tanzania.
The incident at Songwe was the first major fire incident in the country this year.