Iran slams US for ‘contradictory’ statements on Strait of Hormuz talks


Donald Trump 1- Malawi24

Iran has accused the US of issuing contradictory statements regarding the agreements being negotiated over the reopening of the Strait of Hormuz.

On Saturday, Trump stated that the deal with Iran has been largely negotiated which includes the reopening of the Strait of Hormuz.

However, Iranian Foreign Ministry spokesman Esmaeil Baqaei told state television that the US and Iranian positions had been converging over the last week, but warned that this did not mean agreements would be reached on key issues and accused the Americans of making “contradictory statements”.

Posting on social media, Trump said he had a “very good call” with the leaders of Saudi Arabia, the United Arab Emirates, Qatar, and others about a “Memorandum of Understanding about PEACE”.

“An agreement has been largely negotiated, subject to finalization between the United States of America, the Islamic Republic of Iran, and the various other Countries, as listed. Final aspects and details of the deal are currently being discussed, and will be announced shortly,” indicated Trump.

The US President also highlighted that he had a call on Saturday with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, which “went very well”.

The US and Israel launched wide-ranging strikes on Iran on 28 February, sparking conflict across the Middle East. Iran responded by launching attacks on Israel and US-allied states in the Gulf.


A ceasefire in Iran was agreed in early April, and since then Washington and Tehran have engaged in talks over a long-term peace deal.

Source: BBC

Join the conversation — share your thoughts on this story

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Discover more from Malawi24

Subscribe now to keep reading and get access to the full archive.

Continue reading