Translation of financial terms may sound simple if one believes that there are only sums of numbers, equations, or statements that are the same everywhere. In truth, there are international accounting standards or financial terms that keep with the standards, yet it is not always the case. Considering that some linguistic expressions or words may only be found in particular countries, an accurate translation of diverse terms related to finances, banking, or economics is crucial. A mistake in financial translation or incorrect representation of an issue may cause serious consequences, which is why it is important to approach professional translators.
Accurate Translation of Financial Terms
In most cases, the accurate translation of each term is crucial because every financial document has the legal power and can be used as an advantage in a lawsuit or a legal dispute. Therefore, if it is necessary to keep your reputation and the company safe, have a look at reliable Translationreport that fit your initial demands. Ensure that the assistant understands your translation specifics and can fit within the deadlines. As the work takes place, there are five important points to consider:
- The use of technical terms. The tricky part is that the use of most terms in their native context in a foreign language will not work. As the translators with the experience in financial interpreting will confirm, the accounting, as an example, will have a different meaning for the same word depending on the context. Therefore, always discuss the document with the translator to ensure that everything has been understood right. It is not a grammar or a language issue but a context that must be clear. Approach a certified translator who has a background in a relevant subject and can understand the meaning behind an agreement or an accounting document.
- The correct formatting. The next important aspect is the correct formatting of both translations. The original layout of both documents must be kept because it is what might remain the same even after translation. Since there will be columns and the numbers, check for the presence of each relevant field even if you do not speak a foreign language. The translator of financial documents may have to re-create the table or suggest a correction to the original if any mistakes have been spotted.
- Mind the convention rules. The dates and numbers constitute the heart of any financial document, which is why it is so important to keep translation within the required convention. In some cases, different date formats speak of a current situation or what is being planned. Likewise, if something was about to happen, yet did not take place, it is also notified with the specific terms that refer to certain periods. Keeping these accurate will help to avoid crucial flaws where the lawyers may file a dispute due to the lack of clarity of a financial statement.
- The numbers and currencies. As every translator knows, there are different rules to how the numbers are represented in certain countries. The same relates to how currencies must be specified in official financial documents. As the practice shows, even when the language and grammar parts represent an excellent financial statement, there are still mistakes in numbers, which can either become critical or just show the low quality of a translation with no attention to detail. The same relates to how monetary accounts should be mentioned in writing in different languages.
- Keeping things the same through the document. The most important aspect of financial terms translation is keeping things consistent and logical through the entire length of a document. In other words, translators must keep within the same style and follow all the formatting rules that constitute the agreement. Even if there is a financial report with very few words, it is crucial to replicate all the data in the same format, if applicable, and allowed by the target document language.
Do Financial Documents Require Certified Translators?
Since any financial document that is translated in a foreign language usually appears in a document that holds the legal power, it is necessary to work with a translator who can provide authenticity proof. It is a document, a certification that grants individuals a right to work in a relevant field. Alternatively, it is possible to approach a freelancer, yet it is always necessary to ask for certification since no document will be valid in a foreign country or a lawsuit dispute. Working with a certified translator is also a guarantee of high-quality work.
If you need to give your business a boost by learning a few secret tricks, Henry knows what to do! His posts always contain inspiring stories, great examples of how technology helps, and great success tips. Follow him to discover the ways to learn something new and have fun!