23 October 2016 Last updated at: 9:09 AM
Fire leaves Mchinji vendors desperate
Hours after business operators were left in a somber mood following a fierce fire that burnt shops at a bus depot in Mulanje district, vendors from Mchinji have also faced the same fate after fire destroyed the district’s main market on Saturday.
According to reports, the fire started at around 2PM after a spark from Electricity Supply Corporation of Malawi (ESCOM) wires near the market.
Residents from the district have disclosed that the incident began after ESCOM had carried out maintenance work on its power lines in the district.
ESCOM officials are yet to comment on the matter following claims that the fire started from their power lines.
Meanwhile authorities are also yet to calculate the cost of the damages the fire has caused.
The Mchinji fire incident becomes the third major inferno within a space of a month in the country.
The biggest blaze was at Lilongwe Mpanipani market where fire damaged property worth millions of Kwacha.