Two children die from severe burns in Balaka

Balaka Police Deputy Public Relations Officer Gerald Sumaili identified the two as Shamim Gama 5, and Mphatso Ganiza 7.

fire-2He said at the time of the incident the parents of the children had gone to Utale Health Center with one of the deceased’s elder sister who was in labour.

“The young girls decided to take a bath but since the water was cold, they decided to make a fire right in the bathroom to warm it up,” said Sumaili.

Unfortunately, the grass-made bathroom caught fire that surrounded the two and blocked the outlet making it difficult for the girls to escape.

According to Sumaili, neighbors noticed flames of the burning bathroom and rushed to rescue the victims. The victims were taken to Machinga District Hospital where they died while receiving treatment.

Postmortem results shows that the two died due to hypoglycemic shock and severe dehydration caused by third degree burns.



  1. Ambuye tithandizeni dziko lathu lino pangozi zadzizizi. Zaonjeza ngozi sipakudusa tsiku osava ngozi. Dziko lasoka very sorry RI p

Comments are closed.