Mzuni, Eagles in barren draw as Tigers maul Moyale Barracks


The second round of the flagship Super League got underway on Saturday in all the three regions of Malawi.

The curtain raiser for the day was between 5th placed Mzuni FC and the pacesetters Blue Eagles at Mzuzu Stadium.

It was a game of two halves, with the hosts dominating the first half but lacking finishing composure in front of goal.

Mzuni had the first chance of the game when Hudson Milanzi and Fraston Chisi combined well to release Luwindiko Nhlane but the striker’s shot went agonizingly wide.


Mzuni F.C held Blue Eagles.

Few minutes later, Milanzi dribbled past Blue Eagles’ defence but failed to make a quick stab into the net as he slipped off the ground to the disbelief of the home fans.

At the other end, Wister Phiri had the first shot at goal which was easily saved by Rabson Chiyenda.

Come second half, the league leaders rejuvenated as they attacked from all angles in search for the much needed goals.

Phiri, Junior Malidadi, and Victor Nyirenda increased their pace as they played brilliant football but found it very difficult to unlock the hosts’ defence.

On 68th minute, Phiri wasted another opportunity when he fired wide from close range after he was released to the left flank of the field.

Mzuni were living dangerously as more pressure mounted on them, with Chiyenda producing two saves in succession to keep them in the game.

Mzuni’s closest chance fell to Chisi who made a selfish decision to fire wide instead of feeding Nhlane who had positioned himself very well. After 90 minutes of play, it ended goalless.

The result sees Blue Eagles maintaining their position at the top with 33 points while Mzuni climbed up to fourth with 28 points.

At Kalulu Stadium, Azam Tigers got the better of Moyale Barracks by registering a hard fought 1-nil victory over the Mzuzu based Soldiers to move up to 7th on the standings.

At Nankhaka Stadium, Civo Service United and Epac FC played to a goalless draw.