8 August 2016 Last updated at: 12:21 PM
20 July families to take to the streets in Malawi
Families that lost their relatives in the July 20, 2011 nationwide demonstrations have threatened to protest over unpaid compensations. Five years after the Police gunned down their relatives in cold blood.
In 2012, former President Joyce Banda promised all families that lost their relatives during the protests that government will compensate them.
Banda said money amounting to K30 million had been kept aside for the bereaved families but the relatives say up to date none of the families has received even a single coin.
Speaking with the local media, the spokesperson for the bereaved families Isaac Banda said they are meeting several challenges considering the fact that some of the people killed on the fateful day were bread winners hence life has now become difficult for those left behind.
“We are organizing nationwide demonstration because minister of finance, Goodall Gondwe told us that the government has no money to compensate us contrary to what the attorney General told us that we will get the money.
“So we are disappointed that we can’t find the truth of the matter as attorney general and minister of finance are contradicting each other. We are tired of being tricked that we will get our money.” worried Banda. He further said they are in the process of informing the authorities about the matter and said the exact date for the demonstrations will be known soon.
The 2011 protests which were sparked by worsening fuel shortages, rising prices and high unemployment in the southern African country, saw 20 people were reported killed.