4 August 2016 Last updated at: 7:23 PM

Fire guts students’ hostel

Fire has gutted down a hostel for female students at Chitawira residential area in the commercial city of Blantyre, Malawi24 can report.

Pinkhouse Hostels caught the fire in the morning.


The hostel that caught fire this morning

According to a student who spoke to this publication, the fire started because an iron in one of the rooms was left switched on for some time.

“I was in my room with a friend and we just saw flames of fire from a room next us, so we were shouting for help from well-wishers to help us saving some property,” said the student who spoke on condition of anonymity.

She further disclosed that some neighbours came and saved two mattress and she also managed to get out of the hostel with some property.

“A lot of property has been lost, I just managed to take away my laptop bag, a hand bag and my friend’s laptop in one of the rooms but with no pair of shoes,” she added.

The fire which started around 11am today saw the fire fighting team from Blantyre City Council taking several trips to refill water in the tank, a development that worsened the damage.

13 Comments On "Fire guts students’ hostel"