Bullets 3-0 Mafco: Mkwate fires Bullets into Pres. Cup final


The peoples team progressed to the 2016 Presidential Cup final after beating Salima based Mafco FC 3-0 at the Kamuzu Stadium on Saturday afternoon.

Coming straight from their disappointing 1-nil defeat to Karonga United in a league match last week, Nyasa Big Bullets meant business as they swept aside a resilient Mafco FC.

Mike Mkwate

Mike Mkwate netted a brace.

The Soldiers had earlier on sent a strong to Bullets but what they got on the afternoon was a baptism of fire courtesy of a Mike Mkwate’s brace.

The visitors threatened first through tallisman Richard Mbulu but his shot went wide.

Minutes later, it was Bullets’s turn as Niyikiza Aimable failed to connect well from MacPhallen Mgwira’s cross.

However, it was the visitors who had the closest chance when Miracle Gabeya handled the ball inside the penalty box, leaving the referee with no chance but to point straight on the spot. Mbulu stepped in but his effort was well saved by shot-stopper Enerst Kakhobwe in goals for the peoples team.

Seconds later, Bullets got their opener.

A pass from Dave Ng’ambi found Henry Kabichi who rounded off Jailosi Kapalamula in goals for Mafco before putting the ball into the back of the net, 1-0.

Bullets vs Mafco

Bullets win to set a final against Moyale.

Five minutes later, it was 2-nil. Ng’ambi released Mkwate who volleyed past Kapalamula into the back of the net, 2-0. Bullets were on fire as Mgwira, Kabichi and Aimable tormented Mafco’s defence that was led by Paul Phiri, Paul Ndhlovu and Yohane Malunga.

Mafco’s woes continued on the afternoon when left back Zikhole Ngulube was stretched off and it was 2-nil on half time.

Come second half, the visitors threw in everything, with Zasher Mnong’oneza and Joseph Dossa all coming in to try to calm the situation in the midfield. Mafco began the half brightly showing signs of urgency while in possession of the ball applying pressure on the hosts’s defence.

Bullets keeper produced a fantastic save to deny Stain Malata from reducing the arrears.

Malata decided to pull the trigger from range but his effort went wide of the right hand post. Chiukepo Msowoya came in for Bullets who had one leg already in the final.

However, Mkwate completely killed off the game with a tap in from Kabichi’s effort to put the match beyond Mafco’s reach.

Bullets then introduced Fischer Kondowe and Muhamad Sulumba who had some chances but they were definitely convinced with the scoreline.

Bullets vs Mafco

Mafco missed a penalty before Bullets opened the scores.

Mafco did everything in their power to try to grab something from the game but the defending champions could not match Bullets’s pace and after 90 minutes of play, it ended 3-nil.

Bullets will now play Moyale Barracks in a repeat of 2012 final in which Bullets won by a goal to nil scored by Gabadinho Mhango in the third minute of the first half.

The final will be played on 16th July at a venue yet to be announced by the Football Association of Malawi (FAM).

  • Opinion