House burns down after power surge

6

A house in the commercial city of Blantyre in Bangwe Township has been razed down following a power surge that hit the area.

According to information reaching this publication, on this day the area was hit by electricity blackout from eight o’clock in morning.

But as soon as power was back at three o’clock in the afternoon, one of the houses in the area caught fire.

According to the owner of the house Chimwemwe Kampesi, the fire started at the main switch.

Fire Malawi

Fire (Library image)

“I was in my bedroom and was told by my children who were watching television at the sitting room that the house has caught fire and it was at that time when I saw flames at the main switch board,” she said.

Kampesi further said that in a few seconds the whole house was in a blaze and she failed to put it off herself and called for a help from neighbours who as well could not give much help.

Firefighters were called in as well to put it off but they quickly run out of water and by the time they went to collect more water, they found the house completely down with nothing being rescued.

According to Kampesi, items worth over K10 million have been destroyed by the fire. Malawi24 has also established that most areas in the commercial city of Blantyre on this day met some electricity challenges.

The development follows the state president’s remarks at the opening of the 28th trade fair in Blantyre on Tuesday that electricity blackouts will be history in the coming three years.

Share.

6 Comments

  1. Escom should take responsibility for this,sometimes I wonder if it’s not a business gimmick with shops and electrical companies

%d bloggers like this: