An Asian owned shop Dreamfoam Mattress has been gutted down fire in Blantyre just close to the city’s flea market, an inferno that hit the shop a few minutes ago.
According to eye witnesses, the fire started around noon.
Our sources at the scene the fire is believed to have emanated from a fault with the shop’s main switch which had struck a very terrifying spark.
It is said that the shop which is part of the stores under the VMV supplier just a stone throw away from Blantyre flea market contained a lot of mattresses and it is feared that almost half of them have been totally damaged.
After the inferno was noticed, fire fighters were called and they came later than the people from the Electricity Supply Corporation of Malawi (ESCOM) who helped in turning off lights in the building for fear of continued damage.
At the moment, as the fire fighters are doing the all important job, heavily armed police officers have secured the place in fear of possible looting.
Authorities and owners are yet to make clear statements about the fire and the gravity of the damage.
(MORE TO FOLLOW)