Bullets bestow smiles on its fans in the South


An own goal from Godknows Murwira helped Nyasa Big Bullets beat Zimbabwean giants Dynamos 1- 0 on Saturday afternoon in the Nyasa Challenge Cup at Kamuzu Stadium in Blantyre.

The match started on a higher note as both Big Bullets and Dynamos were in search for an early goal but it was the Malawi 2015 Super League champions who looked hungrier in the early stages.

Big Bullets

Bullets: Won it.

They could have taken the lead after five minutes but Dalitso Sailesi was denied by the Dynamos goalkeeper Mateyanga Tanderai.

Big Bullets kept on pressurising the visitors and they  went close on several occasions but a mixture of  wayward finishing and good goalkeeping  by  Tanderai meant that the first half ended  0-0.

In the second half, both Bullets and Dynamos came in with new ideas as they all showed intent to find the back of the net.

In the early minutes of the half, Bullets Coach Franco Ndawa took off Mussa Manyenje and Muhamad Sulumba came on for his Big Bullets debut.

Some minutes later, Bullets goalkeeper Owen Chaima denied Dynamos from taking the lead by producing a double save to deny Rodrick Mutuma.

In the 58th minute, Fischer Kondowe was replaced by former Caps United defender George Nyirenda who marked his first Bullets appearance since returning from Zimbabwe.

It only took Nyirenda a few minutes to help Bullets take the lead as his 30-yard drive was led into the net by Dynamos defender Murwira to make it 1-0 for Bullets.

After that 70th minute goal Dynamos started dominating possession and kept on pressurising the home side but Bullets defence mounted by John Lanjesi, Sankhani Nyirenda, and Emmanuel Zoya was now too good to be demolished by the visitors.

As the game was going towards the end, Dynamos thought they had equalised when Nasama produced a bullet header which ended into Chaima’s net but their joy was short lived as referee Dennis Ngulube disallowed the goal claiming there was a foul on Chaima.

Dynamos kept on pressurising the Bullets defence as they were looking for an equaliser but Bullets defended well and the game ended 1-0 in favour of the home side.

Speaking to the media after the game, Big Bullets coach Franco Ndawa thanked God for the win.

The two sides will meet again today at Civo Stadium in Lilongwe.

  • Opinion