..as over 40, 000 books get damaged
Some angry students studying at Mzuzu University have branded Mzuzu city firefighters as stupid after they failed to extinguish the fire that destroyed the university’s library in the wee hours of Friday.
Speaking to Malawi24 on Friday afternoon, the students said the library couldn’t have been destroyed if the firefighters were active and trained.
“Our authorities tried to call them almost 20 times but they couldn’t pick up their phone. It took us some minutes to realise that those people were sleeping then we sent some guys to wake them up and rescue our library,” said Wisdom Mkandawire.
Another student told our reporter that the firefighters came but they had little water in their vehicle hence they couldn’t manage to put out the fire.
Upon realising that their efforts were now useless, the students began stoning the firefighters while calling them “stupid illiterates” who just receives government money for doing nothing.
“We called them stupid illiterates who are just wasting government resources for nothing. It is just fortunate that their vehicle was not damaged because we pelted stones at them. At that time we gave up and just saw our library being razed down to ashes,” he said.
History has it that the department of firefighting in Mzuzu city has never managed to extinguish any fire. People have been blaming the department for always failing on their duty.
However, one officer from the department told our reporter that this has been so because they lack resources.
He said it is awkward that the whole city only has one operational vehicle which they depend on and the vehicle is not in good condition. “Another thing is that we are never sent on regular trainings.
You know our work is like that of our colleagues at army, if we don’t practice, we will never win the war against fire. So that is an administrative issue and not personal, we just wonder why people hate us,” said the officer who opted for anonymity.
The fire which is believed to have been caused by an electrical fault has consumed goods worth millions of kwacha including about 45,000 books and several computers.