Ibrahim Sadick hands Nomads first second round win


Ibrahim Sadick scored in the dying minutes of the match to inspire Mighty Wanderers to their first victory in the second round of Malawi’s Super League with a hard fought 2-1 victory over Salima based Mafco FC.

The Nomads were win less in the second round and had to bounce back as their position in the standings was not convincing.

Coming straight from their 1-nil cup defeat to Civo United last week, Wanderers performed brilliantly as Sparrow Msowoya, Sadick, Jabulani Linje and Mapopa Kaunda pressed hard in search for the much needed goals.

Nomads: Won it against Mafco. (File)

Their closest chance came in as early as four minutes when Linje failed to score with the goalkeeper already beaten only to see Paul Ndlovu clearing the ball before crossing the line.

The visitors were dealt a massive blow when forward Richard Mbulu was given marching orders following second bookable offense.

Despite this, Mafco’s defense stood firm to deny the Nomads from finding the back of the net as Ndlovu and Paul Phiri made some stunning interceptions to frustrate the home side.

The hosts had another chance from a free kick just on the verge of the penalty box from which Linje was denied by Francis Kasiyasiya in goals for the visitors who produced a stunning save to keep his side into the game.

At the other end, Calisto Kalinda had his shot well saved by Richard Chipuwa before another miss from Yohane Maloya whose header went over the bar from a Kalinda’s cross.

The Nomads suffered a blow when striker Kaunda was stretched off following a collision with Mafco defender in an aerial combat.

Mafco: Protested refereeing decisions. (File)

Muhamad Sulumba and Luka Milanzi came in for the hosts in the second half and this change brought an imminent change as the Lali Lubani boys increased their attacking pace.

With ten men down, it was the visitors who took a surprise lead.

A free kick from the right flank of the Northern goal caught Chipuwa napping, whose clearance found Hassan Chapola unmarked and headed over the Nomads defense into the woodwork, allowing Kalinda to head into an open net, 1-0.

Few minutes later, the match was level.

The Nomads launched a stunning counter hurricane attack from which Ndlovu managed to clear the danger away, only to land into Manyozo’s direction and wasted no time to feed Milanzi whose pass found Msowoya to release a thunderbolt inside the penalty box, 1-1.

This goal angered the Soldiers who accused the referee of not stopping the match when Ndlovu was down in his own half. The match had to stop for more than ten minutes as the visitors wanted Waneck Mlenga, who was officiating the match, out of the field of play.

After minutes of protest, the game resumed, with the Nomads attacking like vipers in search for the winning goal.

90 minutes on the clock, the match was level and 12 additional minutes were added.

It was Sadick who broke Mafco’s hearts with three minutes to go when he dribbled past four defenders before releasing a thunderbolt into the bottom corner, to arouse the home fans.

However, Chapola almost spoiled the Nomads day when his 35 metre drive was well saved by Chipuwa and after 102 minutes, it ended 2-1 in favor of the home side.

The result sees the Nomads moving into the 8th position with 30 points from 19 games played so far.

This was the Nomads’s first victory in the second round, having lost three times and drawing once to Azam Tigers a fort night ago.

As for Mafco, their dream of catching league leaders Big Bullets its all but over.

Kalinda was named man of the match.



Comments are closed.